Words and phrases wherever appear in this bylaws have the following meanings:
|1||Minister||Minister of Education|
|2||Ministry||Ministry of Education|
|3||College||Private College |
|4||Founder||Charity Establishment or Company authorized (permitted) to establish a College|
Private colleges are legal non-government education institutions, their objective is to provide educational and training programs (above higher secondary), and support to raise level of education and academic research, and to provide related academic specializations as per kingdom’s educational policy.
Charity establishments or companies whose partners are not less than five persons can establish private colleges as per these bylaws by the decision of the minister.
Ministry will lay down conditions and necessary instructions for licensing private college establishment. The college should start its activities and admission of students only after the decision of the minister, concerning this.
Applicant for license should submit a study proving the necessity and feasibility of establishing such a college.
Article 6: College establishment license is depends on following steps:
Initial License||It is a first approval of the ministry to establish college by a letter from the ministry to the license applicant.|
General Accreditation||In this the license of the college is considered as preliminary license, which is as general approval given to it after qualified college confirms specifications, technical standards, premises construction and organizational structure.|
Special Accreditation||The license of the licensed college considered as primary license, and a general accreditation of qualifying for teaching particular discipline after fulfilling the set criteria of the ministry. |
Final License||Permission to college to start its activities.|
Programs of the college should prepare graduates, in disciplines needed by labor market and cater the national development requirements.
College should abide by international standards in its programs, and in educational planning and technical planning related to curricula and in level of qualification for faculty members and technicians.
College should manage its internal educational, administrative and financial matters in a ways that does not contradict with provisions of bylaws herein and the global academic principles and customs.
For admission in college, secondary school certificate or equivalent is necessary done from inside or outside kingdom and fulfil the standard requirements of admission.
College rector is appointed by the decision of minister based on the suggestion of board of trustees for renewable two-year term.
Two deputies or more are appointed by decision of board of trustees based on the suggestion of college rector for renewable two-year term.
There shall be a college council that consists of:
- Two from university faculty members, or other higher education institutions of associate professor level, appointed by minister.
- Four members selected by founder.
- College reactor.
- Ministry representative.
Moreover, board will choose from its members, chairman and deputy chairman. Members appointment shall be for three-year renewable term.
As per requirements of these bylaws college board of trustees have authority in matters related to college, notably the following:
- Approval internal college regulations.
- Identification of admissions
limit in each semester as per the capacity.
- Approval of the annual budget estimation.
- Approval of study curricula, text books and references for college departments.
- Decision about tuition fees and other educational services fees provided by the college.
- Granting educational certificates on suggestion of college council.
- Decision of appointment and deputation of faculty members and those similar in rank.
- Recommend promotion of faculty members and submit them to academic council of Saudi universities.
- Decision on appointment and promotion of administrators.
- Decision on student affairs within scope of board of trustees, on the basis of recommendation of college council.
- Approval of research and research continuation programs within the college budget.
College board of trustees shall meet at least twice in an academic year. For meeting quorum 2/3 attendance of members is necessary. In addition, the issuance of any decision must be backed with 2/3 majority votes of the attendees. If the votes are equal, the vote of head of the board will be decisive one. If there is no objection from the minister within 15 days of its notification, the decision becomes effective.
There shall be a college council that consists of:
Rector as Chairperson
Deputies as Members
Department heads as Members
Moreover, board of trustees may include a maximum of three more members from faculty members suggested by college council, competency of college council is subjected to provisions of these bylaws, specially the college related matters and the following:
- Suggest appointment of faculty members, teaching assistants, lecturers and their secondment, deputation and promotion.
- Suggest curricula, textbooks and reference works of college departments and submission of this to the board of trustees.
- Suggestion for awarding of degree certificates.
- Promote preparation of academic research works, coordination between college departments and work for its publication.
- Suggest exam schedules and set guidelines to conduct them.
- Suggest internal college regulations.
- Suggest college staff training plans and scholarships programs.
- Suggest extra-curricular activities plan of the college.
- Decide on student affairs related to his competence and recommend toboard of trustees about affairs not within competence.
- Review and express opinion on matters referred by board of trustees or its chairperson or deputy.
College council shall meet at least once a month, on invitation of its head, and this meeting is not valid unless it had 2/3 attendance of its members and for issuing decisions 2/3 majority vote is necessary. If the votes are equal council head casts decisive vote and the decisions are implemented, unless any objection from board of trustees’ chairperson is received within 15 days of its notification.
Each department of the college shall have a board, led by the head of the department and members from faculty members of the department. The board of trustees shall form the terms of reference and the authority and workflow of the department councils.
College comes under supervision of ministry in application of these bylaws. For this purpose, ministry has the right of:
- Approval of college statute, its councils, departments, academic plans, academic programs, academic and administrative structures and granting of its degrees and certificates.
- Issue rules to ensure academic standard of program quality, educational curricula and research centers.
- To assure the progress of college programs and curricula is in line with its decided objectives and necessities and be in conformance with country’s education policy.
- Periodic inspections of its performance through field visits and reports.
Revenue of the college shall come from:
- Tuition fees.
- Revenue from research works, studies, consultancy and training programs.
- Property rents and produce of its usage.
- Study scholarships of persons, establishments and companies.
- Subsidies, bequests, wills, donations etc.
Founder shall submit all the guarantees necessary for college to pay for all the financial obligations arising from its creation and operation, that will protect academic level which is conforming to ministry rules.
For every college there shall be a separate budget. College shall maintain regular financial accounts and records according to standard accounting practices.
Statutes, procedures, declarations, programs, curricula and academic degrees are not be changed by the college without a decision by minister in accordance with provisions of these bylaws.
In case college performance failure or violation of the establishment resolution or governing regulations, minister has the rights to take all necessary measures and decisions to handle the case, including the re-formation, when needed, of the board of trustees, or license revocation and disposition of gurantees stipulated in article 21.
Minister will issue the executive rules for these bylaws, and necessary administrative and technical procedures.
Higher education council has the rights to change these bylaws.
These bylaws replaces the regulations of non-profit colleges issued by the higher education council no. 3/10/1419 and date 02-06-1998. All those treated under the previous bylaws is now subjected to the rule of these bylaws.
These bylaws shall be published in official gazette and implemented from its date of publication.